Explained: What Is The Ketogenic Diet?
The Ketogenic diet or Keto diet is a high fat, low carb way of eating. It allows for small amounts of proteins, natural fats like coconut oil or butter and vegetables. It enforces a 4:1 ratio of fats to proteins and carbohydrates.
The reason the ketogenic diet for fat loss is so popular is that it’s very effective. It uses the body’s natural behavior to burn off fat. It doesn’t leave you feeling hungry or experiencing cravings or those annoying side effects of low calorie diets.
How The Ketogenic Diet Works
With a traditional diet, our bodies normally turn carbohydrates into glucose that’s sent throughout the body as a source for energy. On the Keto diet, we enter ketosis by limiting our carbohydrates causing our livers to start breaking down fat cells into fatty acids and ketones to be used as energy.
- Ketogenic comes from the ketones naturally produced in the body. These are formed when your body uses fat as energy.
- On a normal or traditional diet, we eat mainly protein, carbohydrates, and some fat. The extra fat is stored.
- On the Ketogenic diet, you eat mainly fats, very few carbohydrates, and just enough protein to maintain growth.
- When the body is producing ketones, fat is being used for energy. When you eat carbohydrates, the body produces glucose or blood sugar.
- The body enters a state of ketosis when on the Keto diet. Ketosis is an energy state where the body uses alternative fuel to provide energy. This means it begins burning fat instead of using carbohydrates for fuel.
- You attain ketosis when you eat a very low amount of carbohydrates, which will depend on the plan you are following and the stage you are in. Generally, it’s 20 grams a day to begin with. Your diet will consist of mostly fat, protein and green vegetables.
The Keto diet, like many low-carb diets, is not a new fad. It became more popular in recent years thanks to Dr. Robert Atkins following the release of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution in the 1990’s. It’s easy to follow a plan that is highly effective, without feeling hunger or experiencing cravings.